ZIP is a very commonly used archive format, over the internet. A file with ZIP file extension is called a ZIP Compressed file. ZIP files have uses like file compression, encryption, split archives and many more. They are also called data containers. Like the other archive file formats that are used in devices, a ZIP file is a collection of one or more files and folders, which are compressed into a single file for easy transportation and limited compression.
Uses of ZIP files are for software downloads, where ‘zipping’ a software program saves much storage space on the server, keeps away from the virus, decreases the time taken for it to be downloaded into one’s computer, and keeps all the innumerable number of files neatly arranged and organized in a single ZIP file. Also, while downloading and sharing several numbers of photos, the sender can put all the files in a ZIP archive, so that one has to transfer more number of files together at one go, instead of doing it one by one through website or emails.
Most of the popular operating systems, including Windows, macOS, support ZIP files internally, without the requirement of any extra software. The easiest way to open a ZIP file is to just double-click on it, and view the files and folders that are inside it. To see a ZIP file, unzip it first. Including this facility, if the file is important and secret, then it is possible to use a password. This will secure the file from both the virus and third party. Without password no one can be able to access the file.
Create password protect zip file for Windows 10:
To put a password on a ZIP file in Windows 10, one cannot do it without the help of a third-party utility like 7-Zip, WinRAR, or WinZip. Here are the steps to create a password-protected ZIP file, to keep one’s files and folders locked, in secrecy, with a password: –
- To keep the file in a compressed way, at first, we have to go to the window file menu.
- Then from the drop-down menu at first new, then we have to click compressed (zipper) folder.
- Now users can rename the ZIP folder on their wish.
- After that, copy the important folder and paste it into the ZIP folder.
- Next, to open the ZIP folder, we have to add a password and put double click on the folder. Then go to file menu, then put a click, then put a click on add password. A new pop-up box will come. We have to put a password and confirm the password, then click OK.
- Now the file added a password. Next, we have to remember the password to open the file.
Password protect a ZIP file in Windows 10 using 7-Zip:
- Install 7 – Zip in Windows 10.
- Right-click on the file or folder to compress it into a password-protected ZIP file. From the context menu point to 7 – Zip, and click on Add to Archive.
- In the Add to Archive dialog, type a name for the archive or keep its default name. Select zip as an archive format. After that, locate the Encryption section, type password under the “Enter password” box and “Reenter password” box, and then, click OK. It will create a password-protected ZIP file. Provide the password to open or extract the files in the ZIP file.
Password protect a ZIP file in Windows 10 using WinRAR:
Set Password while zipping a file –
- Install WinRAR in Windows 10.
- Right-click on the file/folder you want to zip with the password. Select Add to archive from the context menu.
- In the Archive name and parameters dialog, select the General tab. There, type a name for the archive or use its default name, select ZIP under Archive format, and then click the Set password
- Enter the password and, then re-enter it for verification. Then click OK. Click OK to create a password-protected ZIP archive in the location where the original file/folder is. Provide the password to open or extract the files in the ZIP archive.
Password protect an existing ZIP file –
- Right-click on one existing ZIP file to protect it with a password, and select Open with WinRAR from the context menu.
- On WinRAR menu, click Tools and select Convert archives.
- In the Convert archive dialog, keep zip checked in the Archive types section, specific one saving location for the archive, and click the Compression
- In the Set default compression options dialog, select the General tab, select ZIP format, then click on the Set password.
- Enter the password and re-enter it for verification, and click OK. Click OK again, and click Yes when asked if you want to encrypt converted archives, and finally click OK.
- After completing the conversion, close the dialog and WinRAR. It will then convert the original ZIP file into a password protected zip file, and you can delete the original zip file.
Without the password, no one can be able to open it or see the content of it.
Hope this password protect zip file windows 10 article will be useful for Windows 10 users.